Tuesday, November 8, 2011

One month left!

So now that I'm about a month away from heading back home to San Diego (either for a while, or just for the holidays...depends on if and where I find a job!), I've decided to compile a list of things I like and don't like about Washington D.C.  Some of them aren't even about the city, but rather my experiences here.  Here goes.

Likes:
  • The public transportation system is really easy to use and makes not having a car not as bad.
  • There is so much history here! So many free museums, national monuments, and great photo opps.
  • My internship with CBS is awesome--I've met so many interesting people, had so many great experiences, and I really love the people I work with.  I've learned a lot, to say the least.
  • I enjoy my restaurant job...$12 an hour plus tips as a hostess? I can't complain there.
  • There are so many restaurants and bars out here.  I'm never at a loss of where to get happy hour or go out on the weekends.
  • Happy hours in D.C. are what people out here live for.  And I'm down to have a few drinks earlier in the night so I can still abide by my new grandma bedtime of 10 PM.
  • It's surprising how many people from high school and college I've seen out here.  It's always fun to reconnect.
  • It's fun living in an area so focused on politics...it's definitely an exciting time to be out here with elections less than a year away, and I'm learning a lot more about politics than I ever have before.
Dislikes:
  • Catching a metro can take forever on the weekends.  I miss my car.
  • Intern housing.  Sharing a bedroom is difficult enough at times, but even harder when it's with three other girls and bunk beds are involved.
  • Everything is SO expensive out here.  It costs me about $5 to get to and from work every day on the metro, and don't even get me started on the cost of meals.  Let's just say McDonald's doesn't even have a dollar menu here because D.C. must have some law against cheap food.
  • People out here can be quite uptight.  Won't apologize when they bump into you, have no concept of customer service...it's definitely a change compared to the laid back vibe of the west coast.

Regardless of all the pros and cons, I've still had a great time out here, and even though I work weekends, there's something about Fridays that always make me eager to let loose.  Only 3 days to go till the weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment