Saturday, September 10, 2011

Proud to be an American

So it's my 3rd day on the internship and it's going well so far! It was definitely a struggle coming into work on the weekend, but I didn't have to come in till 11:30 AM today and have been getting off early, so I can't really complain about my shifts! The most exciting part of the internship so far was probably yesterday when my boss and I went to Capitol Hill for an interview with Congressman Michael Grimm.  I'd never met a politician before, and it was a really awesome experience to meet him and see his office.  So far everyone I've met at the internship is really nice, and my boss seems to genuinely care about making sure I'm getting a good experience here.  It's definitely been slow so far when it comes to my specific intern duties, but it's really interesting being in a national news room when big events like the anniversary of 9/11 are coming up.

Speaking of 9/11, my boss told me not to take the metro today or tomorrow because of the terror threats.  I can't say I like paying for the taxi rides to and from my apartment, but it is nice not having to walk to and from the metro every day and I'd rather play it safe.  I'm praying the terror threats don't actually come true--not because I'm worried about my safety in the nation's capitol, but because I can't even fathom our nation and our people suffering through such a tragic event again.  All of the coverage on the news lately of individuals who lost family members 10 years ago makes me extremely thankful for my parents, family, and all of my friends.  I'm hoping everyone stays safe this weekend and as always, I'm proud to be an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment